Tax Identification Number (TIN) is an identifying number used for tax purposes in the United States. A TIN may be assigned by the Social Security Administration or by the Federal Internal Revenue Service (FIRS). Meanwhile, any person required under the authority of this title to make a return, statement, or other document shall include in such return, statement or other document such identifying number as may be prescribed for securing proper identification of such person. We will also be letting us know the Tax Identification Number Procedures for application.
Here are the List of Document use for Applying for Tax Identification Number below.
How to Apply for Tax Identification Number
Document Needed for Application
- Certificate of Incorporation forms from Corporate Affairs Commission
- Your memorandum and article of association
- Your company seal – (used to stamp the TIN registration forms at the FIRS office).
- Utility Bill – PHCN or Water bills
- A written application to the office of the FIRS chairman on your company’s letter headed paper
- The completed TIN application form (The FIRS office gives this form in triplicates, so you are expected to fill and submit the forms). The tax application will request for the following information:
- Name of your Company
- Registered Office of your company
- Business Address of your company (you may leave this blank if your registered office is same as your business address)
- Precise Nature of your Business
- Date of company Incorporation
- Date the Company Commenced Business
- Accounting Date of your company
- Name and Address of Banker(s) (if you have opened a bank account)
- Particulars of Major Shareholders of your company
- Particulars of Directors of your company
- Name and Address of Auditors for your company
- Name and Address of Tax Representative of your company
Note: you would need to make as much photocopies of these documents as possible, simply because the originals will not be received by the tax office. They are basically for sighting purpose. The photocopies will be stamped and received as evidence that you have applied for TIN.
How to Apply
- Firstly, visit TIN Portal
- If you have not register with CAC Register as a corporate entity with the Corporate Affairs Commission
- Go ahead to generate TIN and follow the right processes.
- Any registered businesses that have not obtained or have forgotten their TIN have means to do that in the portal (just type in your RC Number/BN Number to ascertain your (TIN).
Note Your corresponding business name and the assigned TIN and Tax Office will be displayed. Since your TIN has been generated for all registered companies and enterprises.
- You can also register to fill and remit Value Added Tax, (VAT) and Withholding Tax (WHT) at the nearest FIRS office. (Note that you must file and pay VAT and WHT tax returns not later than 21st of every month).
- Ensure you fill your Companies Income Tax, CIT, returns not later than six months after the end of the Accounting Year or 18 months after the commencement of business or whichever comes first.
Ask questions that seems we need to accept here on How to Apply for Tax Identification Number. And you will be glad you did.
Use the comment box.