The List of common diseases and Infections in Nigeria is prevalent in temperate climates, due in part to the occurrence of a cold season, which controls the insect population by forcing hibernation. However, many were present in northern Europe and northern America in the 17th and 18th centuries before modern understanding of disease causation. One can get to prevent them through the measures below.
In addition, Insects such as mosquitoes and flies are by far the most common disease carrier, or vector. These insects may carry a parasite, bacterium or virus that is infectious to humans and animals. Most often disease is transmitted by an insect “bite”, which causes transmission of the infectious agent through subcutaneous blood exchange. Scan through for The List of common diseases and Infections in Nigeria.
List of common diseases and Infections in Nigeria
- Pelvic Inflammatory disease
pelvic inflammatory is an infection of the upper part of the female reproductive system namely the uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries, and inside of the pelvis. Often there may be no symptoms. Signs and symptoms, when present may include lower abdominal pain, vaginal discharge, fever, burning with urination, pain with sex, or irregular menstruation.
The disease is caused by bacteria that is spread from the vagina and cervix. In the same vein there are ways to prevent them.
Control Measure/ Preventions
- Always avoid vaginal douching
- Observe proper human sexual behavior/ Abstinence
- Do have Periodic pelvic examination and STI testing to screen for symptomless PID
- Ensure you make Use of protective mechanism e.g condoms or diaphragm
Monkeypox is an infectious disease caused by the monkeypox virus. The disease was first identified in laboratory monkeys, hence its name, but in its natural state it seems to infect rodents more often than primates. The disease originates from Central and West Africa.
- Avoid contact with animals that could harbour the virus
- Avoid contact with any material, such as bedding, that has been in contact with a sick animal
- Practice good hand hygiene after contact with infected animals or humans.
- Ensure you use personal protective equipment when caring for patient
The disease is most commonly transmitted by an infected female Anopheles mosquito. The mosquito bite introduces the parasites from the mosquito’s saliva into a person’s blood. The parasites travel to the liver where they mature and reproduce. Five species of Plasmodium can infect and be spread by humans. Most deaths are caused by P. falciparum because P. vivax, P. ovale, and P. malariae generally cause a milder form of malaria.
- Ensure you take a bath before going to bed and making your bedroom cool
- Spray rooms with insecticides at least twice weekly
- Sleep under a treated mosquito net
- Do well to clear drainages and gutters
- When you notice this symptoms fever, joints pain, headache, bitter taste in the mouth see the Physician.
Human immunodeficiency virus is acquired by failure of the human immune system which leads to life threatening opportunistic infections and cancer. it can be prevented and controlled by the following below.
- Avoid sharing share objects
- Proper use of condom during sexual intercourse
- Safe injection practices
- Proper circumcision of male children
Blood pressure is expressed by two measurements, the systolic and diastolic pressures, which are the maximum and minimum pressures, respectively. Normal blood pressure at rest is within the range of 100–140 millimeters mercury (mmHg) systolic and 60–90 mmHg diastolic.
High blood pressure is present if the resting blood pressure is persistently at or above 140/90 mmHg for most adults. Different numbers apply to children. Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring over a 24-hour period appears more accurate than office based blood pressure measurement.
- Engage in regular aerobic exercise daily or twice a week.
- By eating lots of fruits and vegetables
- Maintain normal body weight for adults; body mass index of 20-25kg/m2
- Reduction of dietary salt intake
This is a great means to educate everyone about the recent diseases that has just infected some persons in west Africa, which is known as Monkeypox. We believe List of common diseases and Infections in Nigeria has being able to equip you on how to prevent them.
Share your thought by using the comment box below.