ICAN Registration processes and Requirements
Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) is the biggest accounting body in Nigeria and was established in 1965. It was meant to determine the skills and knowledge required for anyone to become an accountant. ICAN offers two types of exams, the first type is professional examinations, and it is meant for the holders of bachelor’s degrees or Higher National Diplomas in any discipline and holders of ICAN AAT qualification. The second type is the Accounting Technician Scheme exams. This one is for those who have obtained five Ordinary Level credits (Mathematics and English included) at two sittings or less. Follow the steps below If you are interested in ICAN registration.
For ICAN registration there are three ways you can register for ICAN. You can register as a professional student, as an Accounting Technicians Scheme West Africa ( ATSWA) student, and as a member.
ICAN Registration as a professional student/as an ATSWA
You need to hold at least a bachelor’s degree or a Higher National Diploma (HND) to be eligible for ICAN registration as a professional student
- Go to any commercial bank in Nigeria and pay the required professional examination registration fee
- Log into the website and click on students professional registration
- Fill out the form and scan a colored passport photograph of yourself and attach it to the form
- Click on the submit button and a copy of the application form and sign it as required.
- Insert the membership number, name and phone number of your referee or sponsor who must be a chartered account.
- Photocopy your credentials and take it along with the form you had earlier printed to your referee or sponsor so that they can certify it.
Note: Your application will not be complete without the copy of your WASC certificate, the PIN voucher, two certified copies of passport photos, three empty envelopes with your address and ₦50 stamp on each of them, a copy of your birth certificate and the original of the bank teller.
Once you have collected all that, you have to submit a completed application with all of the attachments to the Department of students’ education and training at 82 Murtala Mohammed Way, Ebute Meta, Lagos. After that, you registration will be complete. If you want to register as an Accounting Technicians Scheme West Africa ( ATSWA) the procedures are the same what differs is the induction price.
Membership Application Procedure
- Pay Induction required fee through PAY DIRECT at any commercial bank in Nigeria.
- Obtain Payment Receipt and proceed with your registration on ICAN Website: https://www.icanonline-ngr.com/paydirect.
- Enter your DEPOSIT SLIP NUMBER and RECEIPT NUMBER.
- New PIN and SERIAL NUMBERS would be generated.
- Enter your Student Registration Number, PIN and SERIAL Numbers into the registration page.
- Complete the form, upload a CLEAR passport photograph on a white background and submit online.
- Print the completed Membership Form for your Referees to sign.
- ICAN Final Examination Number should be BOLDLY WRITTEN ON HARD COPY OF FORM.
- Attach the original Confirmation/Attestation letter(s) on Company’s letterhead, from present and previous employers. The Confirmation/Attestation letter(s) should be signed by a Partner (for those in Practising Firms) or by a Chartered Accountant in the organization (Financial member of ICAN)/External Auditor (for those in Commerce & Industry and Government Parastatals). The letter should state the duration of employment (month and year) and the detailed scope of duties.
- Application form for Induction will not be collected from you if necessary documents are not attached. The completed should be downloaded and submitted to The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, Plot 16, Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
NOTE: Only qualified candidates who have relevant accounting related working experience should apply
for the membership of the Institute in line with the period stated below:
Graduates of Accounting 36 Months
Graduates of other Disciplines 48 Months
AAT 48 Months
Enquiries: Contact [email protected]’ OR
Membership DL: 01-4542097
You can also call the following phone numbers: 08033336599, 08028611102, and 08067908190
Leave a comment in the box below…