ON Monday news the presidency has declared no interested on the striking universities lectures to return back to work. Instead, it said it was satisfied with the lecturers’ level of compliance with the directive to them to resume work or be sacked.
Dr. Doyin Okupe (The Senior Special Assistant to President Goodluck Jonathan on Public Affairs) briefing journalists on the payment of the N200bn by the Federal Government into the “Revitalisation of Universities Infrastructure” account with the Central Bank of Nigeria.
While giving further evidence that the N200bn had been paid, Okupe released a copy of the letter written by the Deputy Governor of CBN, Mr. Tunde Lemo, to the Accountant General of the Federation, to journalists.
The letter, with reference GVD/DGO/GEN/MPA/05/151 and dated December 10, 2013, reads in part, “Confirmation of the execution of your mandates for the credit of account No: 00200xx522, Revitalisation of Universities Infrastructure Account.
“I write to confirm the execution of the following mandates by the CBN for funding of the above mentioned account as follows:
1. Mandate FDL/LP201340/1/30/DF: N129,300,000,000:00
2. Mandate FD/FA/124/Vol X11/120/1DF: N20,700,000,000:00
3. Mandate FD/LP2013/40/1/DF :N50,000,000,000:00
He also added that “he wish to further confirm that the available balance in the aforemention account is N200bn
He salso said that ASUU president, Dr Nasir Fagge, had assured last Thursday that if there was proof of payment of the sum, the strike would be called off immediately.
However, Okupe said, “I hereby show the proof of payment to all Nigerians, not only to ASUU and to let the people know that when we say that this administration has no credibility issue, we mean it.
ASUU Strike – FG not interested on return of striking Lectures